Lesson #21: Memorize some quotes, keep them in your fanny pack
Yesterday I read a blog post about the 7 things that reveal the most about who we are. On the list was the quotes that we hold near and dear, the words that help guide and steer us. I couldn’t help but nod my head in agreement as I read the words on my screen, thinking of the own sayings that cover my walls, my computer screen, and are scribbled along the borders of my journals.Inspired I created a list, here I present ten fabulous quotes to live by:
1. “Go where the love is, not where it should be”
So often we strive to find love or create love in places where it simply doesn’t exist. We put so much energy into the wrong places that we become blind or unaware of the places where love is pouring in our direction. It might not always be the logical place to find compassion and understanding but don’t run from it just because it isn’t where you would expect to find it.
2. “I am what I am because of who we all are”- Ubuntu Idiom
We live in an egotistical world. Remember that everyone who comes into your life shapes you, inspires you, influences you. Thank them and appreciate that they are a part of your journey.
3. “I want to know what you have inside you. I want to see the contours of your second beating heart. So write. Not like a girl. Not like a boy. Write like a motherfucker.” – Cheryl Strayed
Write with honesty, write with intention, write because there is something inside you that needs to come out. Write for no one except yourself and you will be amazed how many people can relate.
4. If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”- Roald Dahl
There is nothing more contagious than good energy. So often we think what we are holding inside of us can not be felt, but it can. Think good things and people will be drawn to you, your actions will reflect what you are holding in, and you will see your inner thoughts reflected back at you.
5. “Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.”
Sometimes I get caught up in my own head. I forget to stop. To realize how beautiful my life is. To appreciate my good health, amazing support system, that all of my needs are met on a daily basis, and all the additional sparkle that is added on top.
6. “When you look at a person, any person, remember that everyone has a story. Everyone has gone through something that has changed them.”
Drop the I out of the situation, most often people are reacting the way they are to situations based purely on their own life experiences. Give them compassion, time, patience, and support. Chances are you don’t know the whole story, and you don’t need to, what matters is treating them as if you do.
7. “Don’t let them tame you.”
You are who you are and that person is beautiful. Don’t let anyone change you, mold you, or force you to bend on things that matter to you. Be yourself. It’s the one thing we all respond to positively.
8. “So this is the part where I am supposed to tell you that it’s not scary. Well, it is. But fear is natural, fear is good, it just means you’re growing.”
We all have things that scare us and it’s natural to want to run away from those things. However, at the end of the day it is these very things that we will look back on and be proud that we did, it is these things that will shape us, it is these things that we must peruse even if our heart races while we do it.
9. “If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something you’ve never done”
So often I sit around thinking about the things in my life that I wish were different, I concoct lists, chat with friends, and stare off into space pondering how to change my current reality. The obvious answer that I so often forget, I need to do something. Something different from what I normally do in order to create change.
10. “I fall in love with people’s passion. The way their eyes light up when they talk about the thing they love and the way they fill with light.”
You can talk to someone for hours, but you are truly communicating when you stop asking questions and simply let the other person run wild discussing a topic that visibly energizes them.
What are yours- share them below I would love to know!